Formed in 1959, today they operate over 450 Mitre 10 and True Value Hardware stores. Metcash bought 50.1% of Mitre 10 in 2009, and the remaining 49.9% in 2012.
|Mitre 10 Pty Ltd||AUS||website|
| Independent Hardware Group
owns 100% of Mitre 10 Pty Ltd
| Metcash Ltd
owns 100% of Independent Hardware Group
|Mitre 10 Pty Ltd|
|No assessment data currently available for Mitre 10 Pty Ltd|
|Independent Hardware Group|
|No assessment data currently available for Independent Hardware Group|
This company received a score of 8 out of a possible total of 9 in the WWF Palm Oil Buyers' Scorecard 2016, which rates companies on what they are - and aren't - doing to prevent the negative environmental and social impacts of palm oil production.
[Source 2016][More on Palm Oil]
In Nov 2012 Metcash bought its first pub, joining Coles and Woolworths in the poker machine business for the first time. Metcash now owns 5 hotels with gaming facilities, all in Queensland, with more pub purchases expected to follow. The move has been criticised by anti-gambling campaigners such as Get Up! and senator Nick Xenophon.
[Source 2012][More on Gaming]
In 2018, the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP) asked companies to provide data about their efforts towards removing commodity-driven deforestation and forest degradation from its direct operations and supply chains. Responding companies are scored across four key areas: disclosure; awareness; management; and leadership. This company received a CDP Forests Score of D.
[Source 2018][More on Forests]
Yellow rating in Greenpeace Canned Tuna Guide. "IGA's private labels came 7th. IGA has made big improvements to labelling and transparency in the past, but they still need to get to know their supply chain better. IGA needs to improve its sustainability and social responsibility policies. Labelling on catch method and tuna species is inconsistent across its private labels. IGA needs to improve its transparency in backing up its claims. Some IGA stores stock the worst performing brand, Greenseas, but individual store owners determine stocklines."
[Source 2017][More on Oceans]
This 2013 report by The Australian Council of Superannuation Investors (ACSI) investigates the labour and human rights risks in supply chain sourcing. This company is identified on page 21 as a company which sources products from countries with known systemic labour and human rights concerns.
[Source 2013][More on Human Rights]
Involved in sale of tobacco-related products as a non-core business.
[More on Product Safety]
According to the democracyforsale.net website, this company donated $197,018 to Australia's major political parties between 2012 and 2018, as disclosed to the Australian Electoral Commision (AEC).
[Source 2018][More on Politics]
This company won an award in 2014 from the Australian Packaging Covenant, for demonstrating their commitment to environmental sustainability by performing 'above and beyond' in their efforts to minimise waste. This company achieved the highest overall score in their category, Retailer.
[Source 2014][More on Packaging]
Brands owned by this company were rated 'green' in Greenpeace's 2011 Truefood Guide, signifying a clear policy on excluding GM-derived ingredients, including oils derived from GM crops, and animal products from animals fed on GM crops.
[Source 2011][More on Genetic Engineering]
This company is listed by the Workplace Gender Equality Agency (WGEA) as a Employer of Choice for Gender Equality citation holder. The citation is designed to encourage, recognise and promote active commitment to achieving gender equality in Australian workplaces.
[Source 2019][More on Workers Rights]
In 2018, the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP) asked companies to provide data about their efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and mitigate climate change risk. Responding companies are scored across four key areas: disclosure; awareness; management; and leadership. This company received a CDP Climate Change Score of C.
[Source 2018][More on Climate Change]
In July 2011 Greenpeace revealed that IGA was buying its toilet paper from Indonesia's most notorious rainforest destroyer, Asia Pulp and Paper (APP). Metcash terminated its contract with APP shortly afterwards.
[Source 2011][More on Habitats]
Directly involved in the manufacture, distribution or sale of alcohol as a core business. (Does not include sale of alcoholic beverages as a non-core business).
[More on Product Safety]
|Company Structure||Wholly-owned subsidiary|
|Revenue||$830 million in 2011|
|Address||12 Dansu Court, Hallam, VIC, 3803, Australia|
|Phone||1300 00 10 10|