Dairy product manufacturer
Founded in 1899 in the Bega Valley, NSW. Major cheese producer supplied by 500 dairy farms from NSW and VIC. Acquired 70% of Tatura Milk Industries in 2007, and the remaining 30% in 2011. Changed corporate structure from a co-operative to an unlisted public company in 2008, and listed on the Australian Stock Exchange (ASX) in 2011. All Bega branded cheese products are marketed in Australia by Fonterra. Acquired the Vegemite brand and Kraft license from Mondelez Australia in Jan 2017, and the Lion Dairy & Drinks business from Kirin in 2021.
|Bega Cheese Ltd||AUS||website|
|Bega Cheese Ltd|
This company received a packaging performance level of 3 (Advanced) in its 2022 APCO Annual Report. Australian Packaging Covenant Organisation (APCO) is a not-for-profit organisation leading the development of a circular economy for packaging in Australia. Each year, APCO Members are required to submit an APCO Annual Report and Action Plan, which includes an overall performance level from 1 (Getting Started) to 5 (Beyond Best Practice).
Source: APCO (2022)
Greenpeace's Reenergise campaign ranks Australia's biggest electricity using companies on their commitments and actions regarding renewable energy use. This company has: not committed to powering their operations by 100% renewable electricity by 2030; not signed a power purchase agreement (PPA) to buy power from a wind or solar project; not invested in on-site solar.
Source: Greenpeace (2021)
This company received an S&P Global ESG Score of 22/100 in the Food Products category of the S&P Global Corporate Sustainability Assessment, an annual evaluation of companies' sustainability practices (last updated 7 Feb 2021). The rankings are based on an analysis of corporate economic, environmental and social performance, assessing issues such as corporate governance, risk management, environmental reporting, climate strategy, human rights and labour practices.
Source: S&P Global (2021)
In Dec 2015 the NSW Environment Protection Authority (EPA) issued a $15,000 penalty notice to this company for using wet sawdust fuel in its wood-fired boiler at the Lagoon Street premises, leading to a discharge of excessive smoke.
Source: EPA (2016)
Some, but not necessarily all, of this company's spreads are palm oil free. For more details, follow the link to see Borneo Orangutan Survival Australia's list of products which manufacturers have told them are palm oil free or contain segregated certified sustainable palm oil.
Source: BOS Australia (2020)
This company has extensive sustainability claims on its website in two core areas: Farm Sustainability and Factory Sustainability.
Source: company website (2021)
In 2014 a former CEO of Bega Cheese pleaded guilty to multiple charges of child sexual abuse on the NSW far south coast. Maurice Van Ryn sexually abused and indecently assaulted six boys at his Tathra home over the past eight years. Van Ryn was CEO of Bega Cheese from 1990 to 2005.
Source: news article (2014)
According to data released by the Australian Tax Office in Jan 2022, this company was one of many local and foreign-based companies that paid no tax in Australia in 2019-20. Please note however that companies pay income tax on profits, not revenue (total income). While some companies use tax havens and loopholes to avoid paying their fair share of tax in Australia, other companies that paid no tax have perfectly legitimate reasons.
Source: ATO (2022)
|Revenue||1.4 billion AUD (2019)|
|Subsidiaries||Tatura Milk Industries Ltd
Capitol Chilled Foods (Australia) Pty Ltd
Bega Dairy and Drinks Pty Ltd
- Vitasoy Australia Products Pty Ltd (50% owned)
|Address||23-45 Ridge St, North Bega, NSW, 2550, Australia|
|Phone||02 6491 7777|
Products / BrandsBega Cheese
B Honey Honey
Bega Peanut/Nut Butter
Bega Cheese Spread
Farmer's Table Butter & Margarine
Happi Baby Formula
Simply Nuts Peanut/Nut Butter
Vegemite Yeast Spread
Zoosh Salad Dressing/Mayonnaise
Capitol Chilled Foods
Canberra Milk (ACT) Milk
Bega Dairy & Drinks
Vitasoy Australia (50% owned)