|Praises, no criticism|
|Some praise, no criticism|
|Praises, some criticism|
|Criticism, some praise|
Note: Ratings are based on company record, including parent companies.
They are not a comment on the product itself.
|Outstanding Product Feature|
|Animal Ingredients Alert|
|The Guide > Food & Drink > Dairy & Chilled > Flavoured Milk|
In order to produce milk, dairy cows have to give birth to a calf every year. Most baby ('bobby') calves are separated from their mothers within 12 hours of birth. Every year 700,000 calves as young as five days old are sold, to be killed and processed as young veal for human consumption, hides for leather and pharmaceutical by-products. [Animals Australia]
- Media on RSPCA's campaigning against an industry proposal to let calves heading for slaughter go unfed as a cost cutting means. [Weekly Times 2-2-2011]
- See why we haven't included Bobby Calves as an 'Industry Alert'. [FAQ]
- Consider reducing or removing dairy from your diet [Product alternatives]
- Find out more about this. [RSPCA's 'What happens to Bobby calves']
- Choose products from companies that have animal welfare on their agenda, such as Elgaar Farms and How Now dairy.
- ... Elgaar Farms respond to our questions regarding their Animal Welfare practices. [Ethical blog 2010]
- ... How Now Dairy explain how 'kind milk' is starting a revolution. [How Now blog]
- Campaign on this issue. [Animals Australia]
This product type may contain artificial colours (additive numbers 100 - 181). There are 14 artificial colours currently permitted in Australia, which are banned or restricted in other countries. These are 102, 104, 110, 122, 123, 124, 127, 129, 132, 133, 142, 143, 151, 155 (see details in source link). [Fedup]
- In April 2011 Aldi became the first supermarket chain in Australia to banish artificial colourings from its entire range of food products. [News.com.au]
- See the Chemical Maze app and book to instantly identify food additives with ease. Comprehensive food additive information at your fingertips. [The Chemical Maze]
- For food additives derived from animal products. [VNV]
- See safe food additive alternatives. [Fedup]
Dairy product, milk, artificial colours (Information compiled by Aduki)