|Praises, no criticism|
|Some praise, no criticism|
|Praises, some criticism|
|Criticism, some praise|
Note: Ratings are based on company record, including parent companies.
They are not a comment on the product itself.
|Outstanding Product Feature|
|Animal Ingredients Alert|
|The Guide > Food & Drink > Dairy & Chilled > Yoghurt|
In order to produce milk, dairy cows have to give birth to a calf every year. Most baby ('bobby') calves are separated from their mothers within 12 hours of birth. Every year 700,000 calves as young as five days old are sold, to be killed and processed as young veal for human consumption, hides for leather and pharmaceutical by-products. [Animals Australia]
- Media on RSPCA's campaigning against an industry proposal to let calves heading for slaughter go unfed as a cost cutting means. [Sydney Morning Herald]
- See why we haven't included Bobby Calves as an 'Industry Alert'. [FAQ]
- Consider reducing or removing dairy from your diet [Product alternatives]
- Find out more about this. [RSPCA's 'What happens to Bobby calves']
- Choose products from companies that have animal welfare on their agenda, such as Elgaar Farms, Barambah Organics or How Now. [Elgaar Farms]