Personal care products
Founded in Melbourne in 1987. Available in 21 countries. In Jan 2013 Brazil's Natura acquired a 65% stake, and in December 2016 bought the remaining 35%. One of a handful of Australian cosmetics companies who have had success overseas (like Bloom, Jurlique and Becca).
|Aesop Retail Pty Ltd||AUS||website|
| Natura Cosmeticos SA
owns 100% of Aesop Retail Pty Ltd
|Aesop Retail Pty Ltd|
This company has either signed PETA's statement of assurance or provided a statement verifying that they do not conduct or commission any animal tests.
[Source 2014][More on Animal Testing]
|Natura Cosmeticos SA|
This company is a member of the Union for Ethical BioTrade, a non-profit association that promotes the 'Sourcing with Respect' of ingredients that come from biodiversity. Members commit to gradually ensuring that their sourcing practices promote the conservation of biodiversity, respect traditional knowledge and assure the equitable sharing of benefits all along the supply chain.
[Source 2016][More on Eco-Certification]
The Global 100 Most Sustainable Corporations in the World list is an extensive data-driven corporate sustainability assessment. The ranked companies are leaders in the field of a sustainable business approach. The efficiency of a company's energy, water, CO2 and waste management is measured in relation to its total sales volume. The disclosure of that information is a pre-condition for the assessment. This company ranked #61 in the 2016 Global 100.
[Source 2016][More on Sustainability Reporting]
In Jan 2013 Brazil's tax authority accused Natura of using incorrect prices to calculate a levy paid in 2008, and ordered it to pay 627.9 million reais (US$308.7 million) in back taxes. Natura is appealing the order.
[Source 2013][More on Finance]
As listed on the We Mean Business website, this company has committed to the following climate action initiatives: adopt a science-based emissions reduction target; put a price on carbon; responsible corporate engagement in climate policy; report climate change information in mainstream reports as a fiduciary duty; remove commodity-driven deforestation from all supply chains by 2020.
[Source 2016][More on Climate Change]
This company was designated a "New Sustainability Champion" in this 2010 document (page 30) from the World Economic Forum and the Boston Consulting Group. New Sustainability Champions proactively turn constraints into opportunities through innovation, embed sustainability in their company culture, and actively shape their business environments.
[Source 2010][More on Governance]
This company is one of a group of eight multinationals working together under the Brazilian Business and Ecosystem Services Partnership (PESE) which provides a platform for Brazilian companies to proactively develop strategies to manage business risks and opportunities arising from their companies' dependence and impact on ecosystems. By making the connection between healthy ecosystems and the bottom line, PESE not only fosters more sustainable business practices, but also opens the door to new, profitable business opportunities.
[Source 2013][More on Multi-Stakeholder Initiatives]
This company is a Gold Member of the Sustainable Brands Network, the leading peer to peer, learning and networking group designed to support brands in meeting their sustainability goals and ultimately become those leaders of the next sustainable economy.
[Source 2016][More on Multi-Stakeholder Initiatives]
In 2016 Greenpeace East Asia ranked the world's 30 biggest personal care companies on their commitment to eliminating microbeads from their personal care products. The scorecard was based on four main criteria: commitment & transparency, definition, deadline and global application. This company was ranked as 'getting there'. Microbeads are not retained by wastewater treatment and end up in the ocean where they are a threat to the marine environment.
[Source 2016][More on Oceans]
The Forest 500 identifies, ranks, and tracks the governments, companies and financial institutions worldwide that together could virtually eradicate tropical deforestation. Rankings are based on their public policies and commitments and potential impacts on tropical forests in the context of forest risk commodities (palm oil, soya, beef, leather, timber, and pulp and paper). This company received a score of 3/5.
[Source 2016][More on Forests]
|Company Structure||Wholly-owned subsidiary|
|Address||242 Gertrude St, Fitzroy, VIC, 3065, Australia|
Products / BrandsAesop
Aesop Skin Care